Friday, July 12, 2013

Straps anyone?

Thought I would show you one way I make purse straps that is a little different from some of the patterns I have used lately.  I use light weight 100% cotton twill tape and wrap the bag fabric around the webbing - it makes for a nice strong strap - see my photos below of the steps I go through.  (I have purchased lots of cotton twill tape from an Etsy shop called - Sewing Supplies I'm not affiliated, but have bought lots of stuff from her and I've been satisfied every time!) 

Fabric would be the length you want your strap and 4 times the width of your cotton twill tape - my twill tape is 1 inch, so my fabric is 4 inch's wide and 16 inches long.  Press fabric in half to give yourself a guideline for the twill tape.  

Use a little bit of Uhu Glue Stick to keep the twill tape tight against the creased line - iron it a bit to dry the glue.  (This brand of glue stick is one of my favorite sewing supplies, sadly I can't buy it locally anymore so I will have to resort to an Amazon 12 pack of glue sticks!)




Use a little more glue on-top of the twill tape and fold up the bottom fabric to cover - hit with the iron to dry the glue and set a crease.  


 Now fold the top fabric over - two times see pictures, no glue this time, but use your iron (careful not to burn yourself!) to crease it nicely.



Next after the fabric has cooled, that last fold that is on the outside, needs to be moved to the inside and pressed to make a nice crease



  


It should look like this now:


Open it up and use a little glue stick to "baste" it together, don't forget to iron it after putting the fabric together, this drys the glue so it won't hurt your sewing machine.  


Top stitch about 1/8 inch in from the edge on each side - sometimes if I want an extra strong strap, I will stitch several rows of top stitching until I get to the center of the strap.  



 TA-DA - nice strong strap for a bag of your choosing.  (I forgot to take a picture of the bag these straps went to before it got stuffed into a box and mailed off to my Niece - lucky for you guys I have another Niece that I will be making another lunch box for so stay tuned!!)    

Have a great weekend and thanks again for all the nice comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment